Files Available for Download
This page contains some scripts you may find useful.
- Single scripts have been renamed by adding '.txt' so you can view them online (remove '.txt' before using).
- Sets of scripts (like Flac_Jacket) are tar/gzipped.
- To extract the tar files after download, use tar xvf filename.tar or tar tf filename.tar to display the contents.
- To extract the tgz files after download, use tar xzvf filename.tar or tar ztf filename.tar to display the contents.
- Make sure the script is executable. You may need to chmod 755 (or whatever) so it is executable.
- Check for any variables that may need changing, edit to match your needs.
You can use the links below, or access the Downloads Directory.
Shell Scripts (hopefully useful Apps, Utilities, etc):
- SSL File Crypt -File Encryption Tool with a GTK Graphical front-end
More information on SSL File Crypt.
- Picture Placemat V2 -Version 2, a complete rewrite. Now a dynamic web based picture viewing application that is easy to install, easy to use, easy to maintain. It runs on Apache with a MySQL Backend, and includes an extensive adminsitrative tool set.
More information on Picture Placemat.
- SiteMapper -Google Sitemap Tool to create a XML-sitemap. This is a single file, just put it into your cgi-bin, make it executable, and hit it from your browser. It honours robots.txt, provides a file and directory exclusion list, (usually) auto detects your DocumentRoot and should work on most Linux based hosting services. All aspects are easily adjusted from the web interface. Only one variable in the script you'll want to change (domain name) to save having to set it every time.
More information on SiteMapper.
- CouchMan -Music Management and Playback System. It's a handful of shell scripts interacting with MySQL to play music via a web interface.
More information on CouchMan.
- Flac Jacket -FLAC File Management Program used to create and manage FLAC audio files.
More information on Flac Jacket.
- flac2mp3 -A utility to create and web-publish mp3's by converting flac audio files into mp3's and generating a playlist. It's a quick hack using a few Shell Scripts and a bunch of code taken from Flac-Jacket. It could easily be adjusted to convert straight from raw to mp3.
- MP3 Player -Script to randomize and play all mp3's in a directory (uses mplayer or realplay).
- FM Radio Player -A simple script to play pre-set FM stations (requires fmtools and an FM tuner card).
- Movie Burner -Automates burning movies from avi to dvd (see requirements at top of script).
- Picture PlaceMat This original version is deprecated, please see the Version 2 at Picture Placemat V2 (also near top of this page)
-Picture PlaceMat is the code used for my Picture Album. It is entirely written in Bash and has minimul server side requirements.
- DNS Manager -Another utility written in shell. This is a IP Management System which creates a MySQL databas based on data collected from BIND servers. It allows you to querry and update records. It is a young project but has some very interesting code.
- change_hwaddr.sh -Quick script to change your MAC (Hardware) Address, then reset to original. This is crude, but works.
- checkip.sh -Run from cron to send email alerts if the system IP changes. This is usful for use with a DynamicDNS service.
- renewip.sh -Checks if NIC is up and has an IP address. Resets network as needed. I used this to keep the network up while I tried to locate a sporatic problem.
- remote-backup.sh -Backs up file systems or directories ans sends to a remote host using SSH (scp). Key Authentication must be set up prior to using this script.
- cpio_backup.sh -Similar to the above script except it uses cpio.
Note that this is incomplete and restorations must be done directly with cpio.
- df-extreme.sh -Monitors disk space via crontab. Emails alerts if a filesytem's free space drops below a user defined theshold. Allows different threshold sizes, as minimum MB's free, per filesystem.
Some Requisites for scripts, external stuff, etc:
- FLAC -A program (codec) to encode music into lossless FLAC format. Required for Flac Jacket.
- RawRec -A utility to capture a raw audio stream. Useful for creating source audio files for use in Flac Jacket
- ls -This is the Old Style ls command that does a Unix style sort. (., 0-9, A-Z, a-z)